Nowadays, spray tanning is catching up as a popular alternative to sunbathing among many women who do not wish to harm their skin with prolonged exposure to UV rays. This personal grooming and beautification technique not only helps to achieve a wonderful bronze glow, but is also quicker and easier than laying out in the sun. But how does spray tanning actually work? Let’s take a look at the process in detail to find that out.
To begin with spray tanning, a thin mist is applied or rather sprayed onto one’s body. This mist consists of an ingredient known as dihydroxyacetone or DHA, which interacts actively with the chemistry of human skin for imparting a bronze hue to it. Most experts say that DHA is entirely safe and the effect of tan created by it lasts for about 3 to 7 days.
Prior to attending a spray tanning session, there are certain things that one must do in order to prepare for it. Given below is a step-by-step description of the preparatory measures:
- A day or two before the session, it is important to wax or shave entirely for removing body hairs and closing up the pores. This measure can be really helpful in case the solution to be used for tanning contains a bronzer.
- The way that self tanning solutions work necessitates removal of dry and dead skin prior to application. Therefore, exfoliation is important for achieving the desired results.
- Moisturizers, deodorants and makeup can interfere with the function of DHA by preventing it to react with the skin properly. As such, these products should be removed as much as possible.
- Since the skin on ankles, knees, palms and elbows is a little rough, these areas should be rubbed with a small amount of moisturizer. That would prevent them from absorbing excessive DHA. A little of lip balm must be applied on the lips too.
- Once the spray tanning session is over, showering, usage of soap and application of any moisturizer should be avoided. That would allow the solution to work overnight and provide the best results.
Spray tanning is not only an ideal substitute for sunbathing, but also the secret behind the glowing skin of most models and celebrities. Besides that, the method is entirely safe. The only precaution needed when it comes spray tanning is reducing inhalation of the solution, and modern salons take suitable steps to ensure that.